Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Estudiar Espagnol

Yesterday was my first Spanish lesson. It was like my first day at school again. I went at lunch time to buy a new notebook I could use, and labelled it with my name in the top right hand corner neatly just so. I was a bit nervous (What if I just don't get it? What if I don't make friends?! What if I'm the dumbest in the class?) as I made my way to the class that evening, and made sure to turn up bright and early like the enthusiastic young whippersnapper that I am.

But it turned out all my fears were unfounded - it was one of the best things I've done since I moved here! It is a small class, with only six other people, and I can tell straight away that we're going to have a great time together. All the othe students are enthusiastic and fun-loving and learning the language purely out of interest and passion - and by the end of the first hour we were all joking and laughing together like old bosom-buddies. Ahora ellos son mis amigos.

Yep. I thought you might be impressed with that dazzling display of linguistic aptitude.

They took a different tack in this class and started by teaching the past and future tenses right on the first day. I like that. I feel that I can communicate straight away, albeit in a broken, unintelligible manner that only I can understand.

Ricardo, one of the teachers, told me I was picking it up very quickly and that I apparently have a 'natural aptitude'. He is now obviously my favourite from the two teachers.

Just kidding. Would I be that shallow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes you would be that shallow. So would I, but unfortunately you told me in no uncertain terms that my birth chart indicates I have no linguistic ability. Puch.
JC.

Ficali McDelta (nee McPipe) said...

And obviously, I got that wrong!