Friday, October 07, 2005

My nightly companion

It is with some consternation that I admit, following my previous entry on the subject, that insomnia has become my regular nightly companion. When I crawl into bed each night, she crawls in right with me.

Not that I have any trouble falling asleep. Oh no, I'm always out like a light within a minute of my head hitting the pillow (touch wood, touch wood). But then, exactly 4.30 every morning, a silent internal alarm pings me into consciousness. Not a groggy, hazy awakenedness, but rather a sharp, alert consciousness that makes falling back asleep out of question.

Why? Why me? I'm a sleep-lover.

Stress, everyone says. It's a sure sign of stress. Believe me, I have tried ad nauseum to identify what the stress could be, but can't think of anything consistent or grave enough to have such serious ramifications. The only regular source of stress I have is in trying to figure out how I've been surviving, for the last 3 weeks, on just 4-5 hours of sleep each night. That is not the Ficali I know and love. My Ficali needs to luxuriate in at least 8 hears of slumbering torpor before being able to function as a normal mortal.

So are there any simple fixes? I've taken to having quick narcoleptic top-up dozes on the train ride. But there's only so much one can achieve on a 15-minute journey. Any suggestions would be appreciated (hot milk and warm baths have already been tried and crossed out).

So this Friday evening, while the world rocks in its fiesta cradle, I hope to be crawling early into the sweet bliss of my bed. Me and my pal that is.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Blog! I have added you to my favorites!

You are a talented writer!

Doo-Dah
roosternoodlesoup

Anonymous said...

Wow. That sucks. I hope the insomnia goes away. I wonder what is bothering you. Or maybe it's a phase. Or maybe you're worrying about whether I passed the bar!!!
EEEEEKS.
Perhaps it's interesting you've personified insomnia as a woman.
Caveboy.

Ficali McDelta (nee McPipe) said...

Caveboy - no one should be losing sleep over whether or not you'll pass the bar - least of all you.
~FMP

Anonymous said...

aw honey. I deal with this every night! I figured out that for me it's the "sleeping in a new house" phobia. My brother's room seems so far away that if someone climbed in through my window and strangled me they would never know.

The sad thing is that i'm not even scared. I THINK i'm scared. Gosh does that even make sense?

Ficali McDelta (nee McPipe) said...

I'm not sure if I'm stressed about not getting sleep. Or stressed about getting strangled by someone who climbs through the window (??!). I don't know. I JUST WANNA SLEEP!!! WAAH!
- FMP (Delirious)