Monday, October 24, 2005

The Apartment, the camera and the nano

There have been some crises in my life lately. Crises of an earth-shattering magnitude. Crises which would have undoubtedly precipitated my downfall if I didn't have such a light-hearted approach to life in the first place.

First, of course, as you are all aware, there was the little housing dilemma. Not exactly the risk that I'd end up barefoot and pregnant on the streets, but an urgent desire to find a home all the same. And that had been rankling and festering and eating me up within.

And then, I somehow managed to lose my digital camera. How I lost a big hunky chunky one like mine I'm not quite sure. Part of the crisis was the camera, part of the crisis was the loss of the Miami pictures. It's not often, after all, that one catches oneself dancing on the beach in a bikini in the midst of a minor hurricane.

And then, just when I was feeling pretty shitty, my mp3 player decided to flake out on me. Just upped and decided it was time to retire, without giving me any real say in the game. For some odd reason, venting at the poor guy on the Sony customer service desk didn't get my mp3 player started again. But it did fill me with a sense of satisfaction to actually reach the person at the end of the 1,899 automated options on the phone. All it takes is a *bit* of patience.

So all in all, the past few weeks left me feeling rather bereft.

And then, all of a sudden, just when I was getting reasonably convinced that it really does always rain on me, Ilajna, Az and I found the absolute perfect apartment, in the absolute perfect location, at the absolute perfect price. None of us could believe it either. Even after we collected the keys and marched in. Polished wooden floors, granite kitchen counter tops, decently large rooms, and all this in a dream location. I still pinch myself from time to time.

And then I bought a new camera today. Sometimes, reluctant as you are to deplete your bank account, you've really just got to splurge. And decide that's its time to be self-indulgent and slightly wasteful, and recognise when life's beating down on you and you need a bit of pampering. Sometimes, all this can come in the form of a slinky little camera with an awesome LCD screen at the back. Sometimes, its ridiculous what a small price one pays for happiness.

"My mp3 player just don't work no more!" I wailed, as I told Seagull the saga of my mp3 player yesterday. It was my bosom buddy. My pal through thick and thin. I don't go anywhere without its protective shield. And now it's dying. It was a story worthy of heartbreak, I thought. But Seagull just said "uh huh".
"What's that?" I demanded. "Aren't you going to give me sympathy??"
"No soup for you," he responded, "time to get a nano."
At first I was a little miffed to not get the attention I wanted. But now I'm thinking, hmm, a nano...

1 comment:

Inihtar said...

Yes yes a nano!! I'll get one too:-)