Thursday, April 27, 2006

I had almost forgotten

It's alarming how easy it can be to get entangled in your own life, and lose track of time, person and place as you are funnelled down the tunnel towards the future. And before you know it, its been over a month since you went to your favourite restaurant. Or made the time to listen to your favourite music. Or met one of your closest friends.

The realisation struck me like a bolt of lightning when I met Milo for lunch yesterday. Walked into Opal, saw his face light up as I approached, and it hit me - seemed like a lifetime had passed since we'd last seen each other. A whole world to catch up on. Stories, anecdotes and shared confidences battled each other stumblingly in their haste to be shared.

We shared a warm hug as we parted that afternoon. "Don't let's wait so long before we next meet, okay?"
"For sure."

As it turned out, it wasn't very long at all.

Later that evening, Dub and I were due to have a long and hearty post-work powwow at Keats. Indeed, it didn't take much persuasion to convince Doobie and Milo to turn up as well. And as we sat there together, the feeling of the good ol' times washed over me in warm waves. It had been months since the four of us spent a quiet evening together over shared laughter, and my heart brimmed with the affection and intimacy of the moment. Even Jackie seemed to sense the genuine happiness, and for the first time took substantial breaks from her hectic job to spend time talking to us.

All the way home, as Doobie and I picked up a Subway sandwich and ambled the few blocks down, I couldn't wipe the beam from my face. And frankly, neither did I want to.

No comments: