Monday, April 24, 2006

Today

What is this city, in which we stay
Where relentless storm makes night from day
Sloshin', sploshin' an' galoshin'
Our lives in thunderous greyness awashin'

Walked to work with water-logged toes
Soaked shoes, soaked socks, rain dripping off my nose
Was about to whine and grumble for a bit
When unfortunately I realised - I don't really dislike it.

The downpour is relentless, there's a nip in the breeze
But once in a while the sun peeks through the trees;
Large drops spiderweb artfully across the pane
And I'm caught for a moment by the beauty of rain.

The office is cosy, work is relatively light
Breakfast at the diner makes even a Monday alright;
Spread the paper, read the news, hot coffee in hand
Now that I think of it, not a bad day to land.


** Special thanks to Doobie for her rhyming help

No comments: