Saturday, July 16, 2005

Crocodile hide

Being Saturday, today is officially Errands Day. So I finished my morning rounds - to the bank , to the laundry, to the dry cleaners, to the pharmacy, to the supermarket. And as a result I've been told to "Have a Good Day!!" at least 5 times and its not even noon yet. New York is unique in that respect. People have mastered the art of wishing (barking) customers to have a good day with the most sullen expressions I have ever seen. And for some reason, I always expect the wish to be sincere, and am slightly hurt when its proffered in the form of a sulky muttering.

Of course that's nothing compared to the Scary People working for the NY subway. The other day I got shouted at for swiping my metrocard the wrong way in the turnstile. Literally shouted at. Like I've never been before, not even in grade school. I might have said something back, but the person was a few times my height and width, so I thought the better of it. And many a time I've seen poor unsuspecting tourists being screamed at for asking basic directional guidance. I've thought about intervening to help out, but always realised I value my life too much. I'm afraid if someone asked me to name my fears, the NY Metro staff would have to be pretty high on the list.

But now I know. From tomorrow I'm going to put on my New York Tough Skin before leaving home.

No comments: