Saturday, July 16, 2005

The Placebo Effect

I woke up this morning sneezing away. I often sneeze in the mornings - I think its a dust thing - but it usually takes care of itself by mid-morning. But today I just sneezed and sneezed all the way through the day, and when by the afternoon my nose was sore and my eyes were a bit runny and I was generally feeling under the weather, I decided it was time to pick up some NyQuil*.

And right after I stepped back out of the pharmacy armed with the bottle, my cold mysteriously cleared up. Totally gone, no sign of it ever having bothered me. Boy, there's something to be said for psychosomatic cures.

* DayQuil does not stop runny noses, only NyQuil does. Because the chemical that stops a runny nose also happens to make you drowsy. So if its the weekend and you can afford to sleep it off, you should take NyQuil even in the day. And I know this because a kind pharmacist offered to help me out when he noticed me gazing blankly at the gadzillian medications in the 'colds and coughs' aisle of the pharmacy. Gosh, pharmacists are such a repository of fascinating information.

No comments: