Sunday, July 24, 2005

Instant Karma

I'm normally a glass-half-full sort of person. It just doesn't occur to me perceive a person or situation in negative light. And I rarely criticise people, even at the point when they roundly deserve it - to the extent that my friends often accuse me of being naiive in my outlook to life.

So I quite took myself by surprise when out of the blue I commented to Jeet the other day: "You know, there was this guy in my highschool class who used to have such a terrible acne problem. It was just awful." I don't know what brought the comment on, or even why I would care at this stage, so many years later. But I said it. And I knew it was mean and snide, but mostly I just said it with gratitude for how I had never had a problem with my facial skin. Jeet just rolled her eyes and warned me I should watch what I say.

And wouldn't you know it. The next morning I woke up with pimples. PimpleS in plural. Gone was the smooth facial skin I used to take for granted - instead I had to make an emergency run to the local pharmacy for a pimple blitzer. Now ofcourse I'm en guard with my Tea Tree oil and anti-acne gel, just in case adolescence is suddenly catching up with me late.

And then yesterday I was laughing at Buppo's (a.k.a. Juan Carlos) laptop, telling him how crap it was. Well, I maintain that any laptop that shuts down arbitrarily and frequently of its own accord merits a "crap" title. But then all of a sudden my laptop shut down and had problems rebooting and said there were complications in the c:/ drive. Oh god oh god oh god I haven't made copies of anything like I always said I'd get around to.

Now I'm not normally very fatalistic, but this retribution is a bit too immediate for my liking. I wonder how much of it is willed by my own sense of guilt, in a cyclical turn of events. Well eitherway, now I know - I've been cursed with instant karma, I'm never going to be mean again.

PS - How great is the new Harry Potter?!! I 've just re-emerged to the surface of reality after two days of being deeply submerged in its darkest depths.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Snicker snicker, now you know the power of evil my laptop is capable of inflicting. Say something bad about it (see, e.g., calling it crap) and it will eviscerate your little puny laptop.
JC

(j/k -- Im glad it all worked out in the end, I gave my laptop a talking-to for any negative energy it sent your way.)