Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Job Hunting

For those of you who are currently working - cling on to your jobs like there's no tomorrow, I say! Because job hunting is a thankless task.

I've been at it for two months now. First the endless amount of meetings with recruitment agents who subsequently don't have any jobs for you. Then the interminable list of online job applications which disappear into a black hole in the universe. And then the interview process and the emotional rollercoaster that rides on: happy excited oh yessss got an interview nervous stressed must prepare must look impeccable oh dear have to buy new stockings oh god oh god must remember to stress these key points oh excitement interview went well they were all smiling must be a good sign... isn't it? But why haven't they called back, its been a week. Oh. I was great but someone else was greater.

Actually, I can't complain, I'm in the privileged position of having a temporary job at the moment. Ironically, it's as a recruiter. So suddenly I'm living both sides of the coin. Being the interviewee and being the interviewer. Suddenly, I find myself in the position of having to turn down other applicants, and it breaks my heart to shatter their hopes, knowing how disheartening the process can be. I try to convey my sincere good luck wishes through my eyes. I wonder if they pick up on it.

This week's been a week of interviews. Had three of them, all final round. I'm hoping fervently that something comes out of at least one of them. It was also my birthday this week, maybe that will bring me luck.

No comments: