Wednesday, July 27, 2005

From across the Pond

My dear friend Nixon just moved to New York from London. So it was a lovely evening of old tales repeated and new adventures shared, and I just couldn't get enough information on how everyone back in London was doing. I questionned her impatiently: "How's Burr doing? What has she been up to? And Vinda's little kid, has he grown a lot? And AP, how has she been doing? And how did Nish enjoy her holiday?" However much she told me, it wasn't enough.

Then at some point Nixon interrupted herself to object to my barrage of questions: "But Dipti, everything I tell you, you seem to know it all already!" It made me realise how closely I am in touch with my friends, and how, despite the distance, I still feel involved in their lives. It filled me with a warm-fuzzy-pinky-orangey-glowy feeling, somewhere between nostalgia and happiness.

I took Nixon for a tour of the area, feeling like an old New York pro. She pointed out that I had become all Americanised: I called things "ridic" rather than "ridiculous".

She told me she had accidentally checked in her I-2o form (student visa) in her suitcase on her flight over. "So how did you get passed immigration??" I asked, appalled. She shrugged.
"It wasn't easy", she admitted. "It was a lot of talking to a lot of officials, but here I am."

I'm glad my friend Nixon is here. I look forward to some fun adventures together in the time to come.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure ridic is American - I think it's just us, dippidydoodah.