Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Non-weddings

I've been thinking a lot about non-weddings (weddings without the legal, religious or traditional requirements) recently. Before this summer I didn't know what a non-wedding was, and now I know of three couples having them. From that, I'd infer they are apparently a growing trend. So what's the point? My brother, ever the rationalist, said "but if they don't get married they don't get the tax breaks!". Point.

But the flip side of that is exactly the reason behind a non-wedding in the first place. In America, couples are only eligible for tax breaks if they're legally married, and legal marriage only recognises male-female relationships. So how is that fair to the homosexual community?

So a non-wedding is about standing up and making the point: "If the law doesn't recognise all people equally, then I don't want a legal marriage." It's about saying, "marriage is a social construct and until society recognises equality and diversity, I want no part in it." It's a bold statement and a brave stance. And if it weren't for people willing to take the plunge and stand up for their beliefs, society would never change and progress. So I'm full of respect and awe for the non-weddingers.

And also a little bit embarrassed that despite my sideline pom-pom cheers, I haven't been able to stop myself from wanting a wedding for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At least you recognize the value of non-weddings, though, instead of categorically ridiculing them. I think that's a positive start.

JC (we have to come up w/ a new name for me, I keep thinking of Jesu Christo, and I would imagine it's blasphemous to think of him when thinking of myself).