Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Time alone

On Sunday, I spent the entire day by myself. Went for a jog, watched some telly, studied some Spanish, did the weekend shop, cleaned the apartment. I was wondering why I felt strangely unsettled all day, and then realised, much to my own surprise, that it was the first day I'd spent entirely by myself in ... well, as far back as I can remember. I've usually at least spoken on the phone to someone, just reached out and made a connection in some way. Or atleast I always had my cat in London, and that doesn't count as alone (even when she ignored me).

It definitely wasn't a bad day, but neither did I love it the way some people thrive on their time alone. I have to still sort out in my head whether the sensation was more on the positive (solitude) or negative (isolation) side of the scale, but I think I'm concluding I'm just a social sort of person.

So I was talking about this to Rohinton and Jeet yesterday, and Rohinton blurted out, "Oh, I love weekends like that! You know, if Jeet has to travel, I try not to meet anyone, so I have all this time to myself, and it's the best!".

Jeet looked non-plussed. I guess that's not what you want to hear from your husband.

"I mean.... errr.... of course I prefer it when you're here, Jeet..." Rohinton stuttered.

I know what Rohinton had meant, bless his heart, but somehow it came out all wrong. I love it how guys sometimes have a way of inadvertently putting their foot in it.

No comments: