Sunday, August 14, 2005

Road-crossing etiquette

Yesterday I was waiting to cross the road when an approaching driver pulled to a halt by the intersection to allow me to cross. I love it when drivers do that, it’s such a generous gesture, and particularly rare in New York. The polite thing to do, of course, would have been to smile a thank you and hurry across the road. I wanted to hurry across the road so he wouldn’t have to wait a long time for me, but I found that the sun had sapped all my energy away and the fastest I could muster was a rather languid crawl. On the other hand I didn't want to casually stroll across while he had to wait for me, that would appear just too arrogant. So I pretended I’d injured my foot and faux-limped across the road.

How ridic is that.

I hope he didn’t notice me continue jauntily along at the other end.

No comments: