Thursday, November 17, 2005

People in glass houses...

.... should remember they can be seen by the public.

Danby returned from the Phillippines today, and the first thought that struck me was that I totally hadn't anticipated just how happy it would make me to have him back. Although he and I were both incredibly busy, we each treated the mandatory office-gossip-catch-up sesh with the gravity and importance it deserved.

First a good half hour poring over the pictures and squealing and exclaiming over his anecdotes. Then a good half hour conspirationally filling him in on the goss back home. Then we had eaten through all the important stuff, and the conversation degenerated pretty rapidly into inevitable inane trivia.

I told him about the gym I'd joined and immediately we stuck out our arms and compared biceps. A glance at his, a glance at mine , and I felt obliged to clarify that I only used the gym for its treadmill. Mention of the gym led to talk of push-ups, and I realised it had been years since I'd actually done one, and I wondered if I could still do them.
"Do you think people will think I'm a freak if I try a push-up right here in my office?" I asked him.
"Sure they will," he said, "but then they know that already. That's why they like you."

(Hmm. I'm going to have to mull over that one for a bit. I'm not convinced by this veiled compliment/insult business.)

So I did a push-up.
Then he upped me by doing a one-hand push-up.
So I had no choice but to prove my mettle by doing one too.
And discovered, much like a baby discovers it can't yet walk, that I'm not strong enough for that yet. Plop, on my face on the ground. For all to see, in a glass walled office.

Quickly stood up, dusted myself off (with dignity), looked up at Danby's laughing face, and peered out through the glass walls to check who had caught my pea-brained moment. I half-expected Big Boss M to be outside, staring at me in alarm. But this time, luck was on my side. Nevertheless, maybe it's not the best thing for the HR bod to be doing one-arm push-up-flops in an office with glass walls, I reminded myself.

Although, as Danby took pains to point out, my blog has been somewhat lacking in ridiculous adventure since he and Seagull left town. So maybe here they come again...

No comments: