Sunday, November 27, 2005

Pet peeves

Is it wrong to not have a hate?

I've been wondering that for the last few days, ever since the Bart, Caveboy, AP and I were discussing our pet peeves the other day. Each of them had something they absolutely hated:
- Successful people, said Caveboy
- The formal education system, said the Bart
- People who walk slowly in front of you when you're in a hurry, added AP

But when it was my turn, I couldn't think of anything. "Err... not sure I really have anything that rankles like that," I admitted, but they all turned to stare at me in shock.
"What, can't you think of anything?!!"
"Surely no one is that positive about life!"
"My next pet peeve is people without pet peeves!" with a roll of the eyes.

I racked my brains, but if I was going to be true to myself, there really wasn't anything. I shook my head embarrassedly. "Seriously, guys, I just don't think I hate anything" I asserted defensively.

But since then I've been feeling somewhat inadequate for it. As though not having a hate indicates an absence of passion. As though it means I'm disengaged from life. Or lacking in opinions. Which is not true. And which I know I'm not. But all the same, it bothers me that a certain element of malcontentment is regarded as a pre-requisite for being taken seriously in life. That positivity can equate to shallowness and a general lack of substantiveness.

So to clarify to the world that I too can be in a grump, I've been pondering and perplexing over a possible pet peeve. And this morning, as I sat in Starbucks waiting for my flight, I glanced at some of the other customers and realised what my pet peeve was: I hate people who take piles of extra napkins with their coffee when they only actually need one. I hate that kind of wastefulness and disregard for the environment.

HATE.
There. Do I qualify now?

10 comments:

Inihtar said...

I think that qualifies:-)

Anonymous said...

Ya - didn't you write a blog about somebody wasting a big load of handtowels every time they used the bathroom at work and how that was your pet hate - I can't quite remember but it might have been the one where you returned the cutlery to that guy... And don't forget scabby fields. And tables for two right next to another table for two in a restaurant. And also loud music when you are travelling in a car. I think you have moaned about all these things before.

Ficali McDelta (nee McPipe) said...

Oy Macklaine!!

I have NEVER complained about tables next to other tables. Those scenarios are ripe for eavesdropping, you'd never hear a peep out of me for that. And with loud music I don't really complain I just dogmatically turn it down. And possibly enter into an argument as a result. But no moaning.

But okay, I'll give you a point for scabby fields, how could I forget about that.

~FMP

Anonymous said...

Completely! It qualifies,

but can I tell you how you are such a GOOD person. My goodness, my pet peeves are so mean, I feel like a horrible person. I find myself cursing at people (mentally of course, with a smile on my face) at least ONCE a day.

1. People who push on the train/bus to get out. Relax man, I heard you when you said u're getting out. If i'm not moving, it means i'm getting out too. So please don't jab me with your elbow coz it hurts.

2. Bank tellers/customer service/assistants to important people at work, who are laughing, joking around and gossipping on the phone when they should be helping you - I'M ON A DEADLINE, MAN CAN U STOP FLIRTING WITH WHOEVER YOU'RE FLIRTING WITH AND HELP ME? ITS YOUR JOB.

See, i'm so mean. I hate people (momentarily) for their behavior so often its scary.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to add..having pet peeves, or hate doesnt mean you dont have passion, it means you are not cranky.

Inihtar said...

haha nayms, u just called caveboy, the bart and AP cranky!! and since we've established that Ficali has pet peeves now, her too!! :-P

Anonymous said...

I don't think it's about not being passionate or not engaging life. Rather, it's about the fact that we are all jealous that there is someone out there in the world who is good, kind and positive, and it makes the rest of us feel a bit mean, shallow and petty. And pet-peevey.
Caveboy.

Ficali McDelta (nee McPipe) said...

Oh dear. This makes me wonder why I struggled so hard to join the ranks of the cranky, mean, shallow, petty and pet-peevey :)

~FMP

miLo said...

I think I do that btw :(

Anonymous said...

inihtar, I also called myself cranky but I think i will have to take that back..i dont know if peeves make you cranky, or being cranky gives you peeves..the former might hold as well, no?