Monday, January 09, 2006

Little glimpses

As part of my New Year's resolution to be more healthy, I've taken to walking to work three times a week.

Sometimes, just sometimes, if I'm lucky enough, I can catch the sun rise as I walk down Second Avenue. In the midst of winter, this isn't particularly early. It's just particularly beautiful. With Second Av being so close to the edge of Manhattan, the gaps between the blocks offer a stunning view of the full expanse of sky, starting right from the horizon. In this city which only receives indirect sunlight, sliver of a view though it be, it's like suddenly being one with nature.

This morning, I paused to catch the actual moment when the sun broke through the horizon, filling the sky with a burst of ruby brilliance. Even as I continued to stroll down the Avenue, I felt my breath catch at the sheer beauty of the scene. In a matter of moments, the entire sky was lit in breathtaking hues of pinks, reds, oranges and gold.

It felt like an epiphany.

Well, little glimpses of epiphany anyways.

No comments: