Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Some things are just not in our destiny

And movie night is one of them.

Which was supposed to have started 9.00 pm last Friday night.

BUT:

7.30 pm - Danby and Seagull asked me if I fancied joining them for a (quick) after-work wind-down drink.
7.45 pm - We were comfortably settled in Rio Grande, and nursing a couple of pretty margeritas.
8.00 pm - Clarissa, Keun and Nicole joined us, and suddenly we were a merry party
8.15 pm - Much to my thrill, Speshi joined us too, trendy glasses and all, and we could excitedly speculate about our upcoming ski trip
8.30 pm - MetroHom sauntered in, and we all knew there was no going anywhere.

I called Azdadoobie in explanation. "Doobie I'm out having a couple of drinkies but I'll be home by 9 just in time for movie night don't worry I'll be home and then we can watch the movies and everything will be per plan because I've only come out for a couple of drinks with my colleagues and - "
Suspicious pause.
Then Azdadoobie interrupted, "Hang on a sec. You're going out for drinks and you expect us to stay home??!!!"
"I'll be home in a few mins, Doobs, and -" I started lamely.
"You're kidding if you think that's the case. Forget movie night I WANT TO GO OUT TOO!!!"
"Ok we're at Rio Grande"
"Ok I'll call Ilajna and we'll be there in a sec".

And that was that. That was the end of movie night.

Some three hours later, we had only progressed to Joshua Tree, just across the street.
Some three hours later, we were still at Joshua Tree, just across the street.

The next morning, we all blinked at each other in bleary-eyed fatigue. While Ilajna, Azdadoobie and I bumbled around the apartment in a state of general incoherence, Seagull found himself in Queens before realising he had got on the train going in the wrong direction. Needless to say, Saturday morning got off to a slightly rocky start for all of us, but nothing that couldn't be remedied by a spell of gorgeous, laze-in-the-park weather.

"Man, movie night just doesn't seem to work for us, does it!" Azdadoobie shook her head incredulously.
"Next time," Ilajna said.

Famous last words.

3 comments:

Inihtar said...

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!! :-)

Anonymous said...

There's plenty of nights to come! But I have my doubts about movie night working out......I think i've become way too old to stay up for more than one movie a night.

Ficali McDelta (nee McPipe) said...

Well our aim of course is to get to one movie at all. And then worry about multiple movies in succession... :S
~FMP