Monday, January 30, 2006

The wierdest of experiences: Part II

I'm not sure exactly what I expected, but awkwardness was definitely a primary feature. What I definitely did NOT expect was one of the funnest days I've had in months. I, who had no personal agenda other than Azdadoobie's protection and moral support, had not dared to be optimistic about the way the events would turn out.

Delta was already seated in the cafe when we entered, and looked up at us with a beam. "I didn't expect you to turn up," he admitted, and I laughed.
"We didn't expect you to," I rejoined.
And the conversation slipped easily into comfortable banter. A few minutes later Mr. Q arrived as well, and we all four glanced around at each other with ill-concealed surprise.
Now what? I thought, panicking. But there was no reason for that. There were no awkward silences, no embarrassed laughs, nothing at all. Just a lot of witty, humourous, entertaining conversation that had us all entirely engaged.

As it turned out, unsurprisingly, there was no romantic vibe between Azdadoobie and Mr. Q, which probably helped the situation. Instead, the whole experience was just a lot of FUN. Everyone else obviously felt the same way, because after enjoying a lengthy brunch, Mr. Q suggested, "Why don't we all head out and watch a movie?" And we all agreed intantly.

I know you'll think this sounds incredibly naiive of Azdadoobie and me. And I suppose it might have been. I mean, these guys could have turned out to be axe murderers in cahoots rather than the normal people that they actually were - and we realised that. But sometimes, you just meet great people, and you can just tell.

So shortly after, we left the cafe and schlepped over a couple of blocks to the cinema. It turned out to be a lovely evening. We watched a movie, and stayed through the afternoon, just chatting with each other. It was already into the evening before we exchanged numbers and headed off to our various homes with a goodbye and a 'see you at Keats next week!'

As we headed home, Azdadoobie and I looked at each other in surprised delight. It had been such a lovely day. And we'd just made ourselves a couple of new friends. Nothing awkward or complicated, but two new people we knew we would definitely call out again. And again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a fun yet bizarre day. While it sounds great htat the two of you have made new friends, I would still say hang out in public places for the time being. Yes, yes, I know -- paranoid! :)
What fun. Keat's is bringing you new friends in your neighborhood!
Caveboy.

Inihtar said...

How cool is that!?!?! Why don't I make friends like that?!?

Ficali McDelta (nee McPipe) said...

See why you should come to Keats with us, Inihtar?!
~FMP