Sunday, September 18, 2005

Changing colours of the sky

I don't understand it. I had a lovely day, was bubbly and jovial and exciteable all day. And then suddenly, for no reason I can think of other than stereotypical cancerian moodiness, I started feeling down.

Like the changing colours of the sky, without explanation or warning, my world suddenly went from sunshine golden to thunderstorm grey. And I did not even get a chance to notice the clouds blowing in over the horizon. All of a sudden, I found myself feeling slightly alone. And slightly uncertain. And slightly tender.

I watched some Bill Maher and it cheered me up considerably to watch him slander the Bush administration - although this lasted only as long as the show itself. All too soon, the half hour had passed, and I found myself again glancing around uneasily in the doldrums. Being of a normally cheery disposition, I'm not accustomed, or indeed equipped, to dealing with myself during my moody lows.

Nothing seemed to work. A quick check through the fridge confirmed that I had none of my comfort food (tofutti cuties) in stock.

I played some Billy Joel, I needed a cheery tune. But it just reminded me of Caveboy and his inane posts about Captain Jack, and suddenly I felt even more alone.

Some days, I suppose there's nothing you can do. Some days, you just feel a little alone and uncertain and fragile. Some days, the best plan is to just hold tight and weather the storm.

I'm sure tomorrow will be bright and happy again. And I'll look back and laugh at my unwarranted lugubriousness. But tomorrow's tomorrow, and today's today. And for today, there are thunderclouds overhead.

No comments: