Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Fancy new sunnies

Milo's entry on binge-shopping yesterday got me thinking about my latest impulse purchase - a pair of sunglasses. You know. Cos with summer ending and all, it's a practical acquisition.

They might not be Versace or goldframed, but I love my new sunnies. Obviously, as luck would have it, right after I bought them we were plagued by a bout of cloudy/rainy weather. So I've been patiently biding my time, waiting for a sunny day when I could whip them out and strut my whippersnapper act on the streets. So you can imagine my excitement when I peered out the window this morning and was greeted by glorious sunshine.

Ok here's the thing. I've picked myself up a pair of those light, nearly-transparent shades. I don't know what I expected of the secret protective technology behind this, but well, I certainly didn't expect - transparency. As it turns out, the shades don't really block the sun.

But they DO have a wide frame that is something of an impediment to my peripheral vision. So although they didn't block the sunlight, the did block the large gap in the pavestones which I subsequently stumbled in, sending my sandal flying into the middle of the street. And they did block a view of the woman standing next to me, so that I almost elbowed her mistakenly in the face, bless her heart. So I have a few blindspots I'm going to have to get used to.

I suppose I could return them, but the problem is I LOVE them. I LURRVVE them. If I were American enough, I might even say I heart them. It's an aesthetics vs. practicality battle, and, well, Practicality ain't my middle name.

Besides, they feel so great (and we all know this is the real purpose of sunglasses anyway) perched on top of the head.

5 comments:

Ficali McDelta (nee McPipe) said...

Macklaine - I know what you're thinking. Just because I brought up the middle name issue NOT a valid queue to reveal my real middle name ~FMP

Ficali McDelta (nee McPipe) said...

Not that it IS my real middle name. I was just saying, is all ~FMP

Inihtar said...

How come I don't know your middle name?!?!?!?

Anonymous said...

Neither is practicality nina or rohinton's middle name, nor is it your dads first name ;-)

Ficali McDelta (nee McPipe) said...

Oh GAWD Macklaine. How immature. :P