Monday, September 12, 2005

What is this crazy world coming to

"WAIT!!!" Jenn screeched as I started drying my hands.
"Don't you know you should NEVER use the dryers in public bathrooms??"

Pardon?

"They're full of germs. They collect the germs from all over the bathroom air and blast a concentrated version onto your hands. Is that what you want? Germy hands?"

Oh.

I'm not quite sure I buy into the theory. But now that the thought's been planted in my head, I can't use the machines with any peace of mind. Do air-handdryers really suck in the germ-contaminated air and blast a concentrated version of it on your hands? Wouldn't the hand-dryer-scientists have come up with a better design? I've always been pro-air-handdrying because the other way (paper towels) causes too much paper wastage. So now this revelation has put me in a bit of a quandary really. Germy hands or depleted rainforests? Which is the lesser of the two evils?

But I was not to be outdone by Jenn. Later, as she and I were mailing some letters, "Wait," I pointed out.
"I don't think you're supposed to lick the glue on envelopes. I read somewhere that sometimes insects lay their eggs in the glue, and this can get into your tongue if you get a papercut."

She gawked at me.
(Now I'd like to clarify for all your information that yes, I have read this somewhere credible, I wasn't just saying it in retaliation.)
She quickly put down the envelope, tip of the tongue still stuck out of her mouth.
Oh.

I don't know how much stock one is meant to hold in these things. Probably none at all, otherwise our lives would be running away with us. But the problem is, once someone's planted the nagging thought in your mind, it is so difficult to forget it. Oh, to go back to a non-neurotic life again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Eh, I would still use the handdryers -- just make sure you don't touch the door handle on your way out. Too many people do not wash their hands . . .

Caveboy