Friday, September 23, 2005

Just like the old days

10 pm on a Friday night, and I've just got home. No way is that a big night out. No way should it feel like a big night out. But the combination of lack of sleep, lack of dinner and a couple of generous mojitos can go a long way towards distorting reality.

Ilajna had emailed me first thing in the morning. "Fancy a couple of drinks here?" she'd asked, sending a link to a fasionable West Village bar, which I subsequently found out often featured in Sex in the City.
"Sure," I'd said without more than a cursory glance at the site. I've a lot of faith in the trendy locations Ilajna suggests. We sat enjoying the pleasant summer evening on the rooftop garden until the faint autumnal drizzle turned into large plopping drops of warm rain. We were lucky to find a cozy nook in the indoors section downstairs.

There suddenly seemed so much to talk about and catch up on, and it made me realise how long it had actually been since we'd last had a proper tete-a-tete. We hadn't had a chance to get together since we both started our new jobs, and for the first time, I missed unemployment. And also for the first time, I got to see Ilajna's much-heard-of portfolio. It's funny when you just know your friend's an artist, but totally different when you actually see the art. And it simply blew me away.

"Will you decorate my home for me one day?" I asked her, overcome by the ingenuity of the designs.
"Sure!" she beamed happily.
A couple of hours later, as we were heading our separate ways, "don't forget the party at Paul's next weekend," she reminded.
I grinned. It was great to be back to the olde routine again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I've seen some of Anj's older work and it was all great! She can design our house, for sure!